Sunday, June 8, 2014

Contents of a Delhi purse


I thought it might be interesting for you all to see what I schlep along with my every day in my purse--my Delhi survival kit, as it were. The above pictured items of course aren't the only things in my big bag--but they're the things that come with be everywhere.

My wallet. Normally I roll with somewhere between $15-$30 bucks on me (which is like the price of a crazy expensive meal or 15-30 cheap meals). Anything more than that and I figure the vendor will be sophisticated enough to take a credit card. But I always make sure that I carry smaller bills on me to give to the rickshaw drivers.

My water bottle. It's 113 degrees out there, folks. Hydration is key!

My phone (not pictured). This is the number one item I must have with me at all times. In addition to the very convenient phone and camera uses of my phone, it also serves as a safety net for me. In particular, googlemaps allows me to track my cab drivers (you know, to make sure they're not trying to take me off route to some sketchy area), uber allows me to call a safe ride home at night--which has proven a lifesaver more than once, and zomato gives me reviews of nearby restaurants so I can chose one with a "high" hygiene standard. I have literally cancelled nights out before when I realized I didn't have my phone on me.

Bug spray. I went out one night without bug spray to a roof deck party and got 27 (yes, I counted) bug bites on my feet and legs. And with those little bastards carrying around dengue and malaria, bug protection here is no joke. I now put it on every evening before I leave the office. But note, that I do not carry around sunblock. This is because, with the crazy heat I actually rarely spend more than a few seconds in the sun and, even in March when it was cooler out, I noticed that the blanket of pollution encases Delhi did have one good side effect--no tanning!

Sunglasses. I do however carry my sunglasses everywhere because even in the shade that Indian sun is blinding!

Sweat rag. Yup, totally necessary. Changed daily.

First aid kit. Including my inhaler (because, pollution), cough drops (because, pollution), allergy pills (because, internationally, cats are out to kill me), band-aids (mainly for blisters, socks are too hot for this weather), and pepto bismal (because, of course).

Pollution mask. For when I'm stuck in traffic in an open-air auto rickshaw. 
 
My keys on my I heart NYC keychain. Cause I'm still Katie from the block.

Pepper Spray. Which looks so much like some cutesy perfume bottle I had to label it "Pepper" to prevent myself from accidentally macing myself sometime in the future. If I'm ever walking around in a sketchy area I take this out and put it in my pocket for easy access. BUT DON'T WORRY, PARENTS, THERE'S BEEN NOTHING BUT SMOOTH SAILING SO FAR--I'M BEING CAREFUL.

Little black book. To write down all of the numbers of my Indian lovers. I kid, I kid--my love life is sadly reduced to Skype calls these days. But my LBB is very useful for writing down addresses to show cabbies that might not speak English and other assorted things.

Tissues. Because more often than not the bathrooms are not well-stocked with toilet paper.

Scarf. In case I find myself in a more conservative part of Delhi, wanting to visit a mosque, or under frigid air-conditioning.  
 
Hand-sanitizer. For oh, so many reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment