Sunday, August 17, 2014

A selection of some of my favorite street dogs

I find the street dogs of Delhi exceptionally cute. Don't believe me? See for yourself!



Generally these guys do a lot of sleeping during the day and are sweet as can be. But you don't want to mess around with a street dog at night because they get kind of vicious. In fact, in some neighborhoods which are overrun by feisty street dogs it's a good idea to carry a stick at night so you can parry if any of the dogs attacks you.

I tend not to walk around at night, so I haven't really had much problems with the aggressive street dogs. There was one quite scary encounter though, where a dog galloped full speed at me and then jumped up all over me. Fortunately for yours truly he was a friendly guy and was looking for a good pat-down, not a fight.

My neighborhood has very few street dogs, which is good for when I'm coming home late at night. Lately, though, I've noticed that Shmoozie--the dog my flatmates and I have sort of adopted--has been palling around with this handsome tramp from around the way. When I came home last the other night Mr. Tramp actually had the audacity to snap at me, but Shmoozie shut him up in short order and then, just to teach him a lesson, pranced right on into our house, leaving a sad Mr. Tramp outside to nurse his wounded pride.


[Because Delhi buildings tend to be open you'll find lots of street dogs who have snuck inside. Some I think are pretty well cared for by the shop-owners]


[These are two puppies who live in the neighborhood where I work. I have no idea how a street puppy survives--their mom must be one tough bitch]


[This is my favorite street dog, I call him "Old Man Dog". He sleeps outside my office door every day and NEVER moves. I have no idea how he gets food or water. But he really just gives me the feeling of an old man, hanging out on the porch, watching the world go by]

No comments:

Post a Comment