Thursday, August 21, 2014

Power outage

And we wonder why there are so many power outages.  This is basically what ALL electricity poles in Delhi look like--a big mess.

 
 
Let me tell you, you think power outages aren't such a big deal, right? Maybe kind of fun, kind of romantic? I know that I even enjoyed the first day (or two) of power outages last year when Hurricane Sandy hit because I got off from work and got to make collages with my roomie while eating popcorn. But here, where its 10,000 degrees all the time, power outages just suck. I literally lie on my bed pouring ice over myself (and no, not for charity) praying for the AC, the fan, or the internet to come back on so I can either cool down or be distracted from my extreme discomfort in the schadenfreude of facebook. Sometimes I'll drag myself to the shower--which of course you can't do if the power is out due to a thunderstormy monsoon--to just stand in the not-so-cold water (it's kept heating all day in a tub on the roof) for a couple of minutes before enjoying a blissful 30 post drying off before I start sweating profusely again.
 
Honestly, you never really appreciate the beauty of climate control before you're stuck in a 4 hour power outage in 100+ degree weather. It's almost enough to make me foreswear my environmentalist principles and embrace global warming. And when the power finally comes back on I say a little prayer of relief to my personal AC gods and a prayer of remembrance/condolence for those thousands of Delhites living without any relief from the heat.
 
Damn, it's hot here.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment