Friday, August 8, 2014

Hauz Khas

I really love my neighborhood, Hauz Khas, because it's safe, quiet, clean and within walking distance of the cool restaurant and bar area of Delhi. Maybe in a later post I'll explain exactly what makes my neighborhood so awesome (with pictures), but in this post I'm only going to focus on one aspect of Hauz Khas's awesomness--the randomness with which you can stumble across a 700 year old monument.

I already knew about the old beheading tower that stands on my corner and the ruined mosque which is just down my street, but I wanted to learn about what other random monuments might be around. So, last weekend I went on a walking tour of my neighborhood.

First up were the entire Hauz Khas Complex (14th century), which includes the ruins of an old university and dorms  the emperor Firuz Shah's tomb (he wanted to be buried amid scholars), and the manmade reservoir meant to bring drinking water to the city.






[This is one of my roommates,  by the way]

 As dusk fell, we then made our way through Deer Park (accurately named for the number of deer who live there) and ran across several more tombs. I've seen some of these tombs in the daylight and they're always swarming with couples making out. But, by dusk the park empties out so it was really cool to see these monuments lit up, and all to ourselves. (Don't worry, mom, the tour group had a security guard with it). 




Seeing all of these monuments was pretty cool, but what came next was really special . . .

1 comment: