Thursday, September 25, 2014

Humayun's Tomb

Now that the weather is a bit cooler (i.e., between 90-95 degrees during the day) I've decided I need to start properly seeing the fine sites of Delhi. You know, it's funny--I've heard that ALOT of people don't like Delhi (earning it the moniker "Helli" amongst the uninformed) but actually it has some of the most amazing sites I've ever seen put together in one city. The Mughal legacy alone pervades and beautifies the city. 

Example No. 1: Humayun's Tomb, built in 1572--without a doubt one of the most amazing city-site I've seen.  It is comprised of an enormous central tomb building, lovely surrounding gardens, and many other minor tombs scattered throughout the grounds. The site itself actually has an interesting history--built first for the Mughal emporer Humayun by his grieving (or show-offy) widow, it eventually became a pleasure ground (and even vegetable garden) for the British, before being occupied by Muslim refugees during partition.

The massive Tomb is said to be inspiration for the Taj Mahal the buildings are very similar in their grandeur and grace. No doubt the Taj Mahal simply shines in its white stone majesty and does deserve its place as wonder of the world. But I actually found Humayun's Tomb to be a much more pleasurable experience as a tourist because the amount of hassle involved in visiting the Taj Majal is extraordinary, where as visiting Humayun's Tomb--easily accessible in the heart of Delhi and surprisingly barren of touts and would-be-guides--is a relaxed and chilled out event. The Tomb itself is not nearly as crowded as you think it would be considering how incredible it is; at times it even felt like I had certain views and vistas all to myself.

I've put a couple of my favorite photos below. I know, I know--you guys must be sick of seeing this incredible Mughal architecture by now and I have to admit that even I am beginning to have a bit of Tomb-fatigue (quite similar to the cathedral-fatigue frequent visitors to Europe may suffer). But, just standing in the presence of these incredible works of art, feeling the play of latticed shadow and light, hearing the stillness of the tomb rooms themselves--well, it's still quite a moving experience.















No comments:

Post a Comment