Monday, September 8, 2014

Mumbai is for eating

Primarily, while I was in Mumbai I did two things: eat and look at elephant god statutes. Both were awesome...but let me start with my tales of culinary delights.
 
Just so you understand the importance the eating plays in any vacation for me, this was my full itinerary for the Mumbai weekend:
Friday: Arrive, eat, visit some elephant god statues, eat, sleep
Saturday: Wake up, eat, walk around the city, eat, eat (yep, that's two eating activities right after one another!), walk around the city, nap, eat, visit some elephant god statues, eat, sleep.
Sunday: Wake up, eat, go to museum, eat, hang out with friends, eat, eat (again, can't get enough of the eating), depart.

 
Yep, I loves me some good eating. And Mumbai had it all, from street foods to fancy teas, from light seafood to heavy curries, from crispy appetizers to creamy desserts.
 
Just thinking about it, I'm actually drooling. That's not figurative. A little drool just dripped out of the right hand corner of my mouth and splashed onto my keyboard.

I know, you all want to be drooling too, right? Well, for your mouthwatering enjoyment, please see below just a few pictures of my culinary adventures in Mumbai. Also, for what it's worth, food in Mumbai is even cheaper than in Delhi!
[My favorite dish of the weekend--a sweet crispy crepe like thing called Malai Malpua]


 [Gujarati food]
 [These rice pancakes steamed in banana leaves were so good that people couldn't leave them along for long enough for me to take a picture!]
 [Mango lassis. creamy, sweet, with just a kick of nutty goodness]

 
 
 [Cafe where we had dinner #2 on Saturday, it was very lively, and served the best crispy papadum, piled high with tomatoes, onions, herbs and masala spices. Basically the perfect snack to wash down with a beer]

[This is a Chinese dish, which has been Indianized for the Mumbai audience--cauliflower balls with a sweet soy coating]

 [Pao bhaji, a Mumbai specialty which my friend's obsessed about--we had to come to this restaurant in particular as they apparently served the best pao bhaji in the world. Basically, it's a vegetarian sloppy joe with extra garlicky bread]
 [And, dosas, of course. Mumbai has GREAT dosas]

 [A selection of the street food we ate for lunch one day. I think India has some of the best street food in the world--the flavors and textures are so unexpected and interesting.]

 [We stopped for an afternoon beer on a rooftop overlooking the ocean]

[And, at night, we went to an ice cream place with local fruit flavors--yum, jackfruit icecream!]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment