Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sari

A few months ago my friend's mom gave me a colorful "daily-wear" sari as a present. I have a beautiful and quite expensive sari which I bought 4 years ago when I was traveling around India which I have never worn because well, I have nowhere to wear it.

So, I decided to get my new "daily wear" sari stitched* because I figured I could use it as a kind of practice sari--something I can just wear out on the town to get used to the feeling of wearing a sari before I don my splendid, expensive one.**

My brilliant plan just had one error. I cannot figure out how to put the damn thing on. No, seriously, I've spend about a half hour watching youtube tutorials and still look like a teenage giraffe trying attempting to roll myself into a burrito.

Don't believe me? See for yourself. I filmed myself so I could see what was actually happening and what the finished look was (I don't have a full-length mirror here). The results are, well, ugly. 



* When you buy a sari it comes as one long piece of fabric, so in order to actually wear the sari you need to take it to the tailor to get "stiched." Basically this entails the tailor cutting the material for the sari blouse out of the long fabric and then tailoring the blouse to you and hemming up the ends of the cloth.
** Someone needs to invite me to an Indian wedding so I actually have a place to wear my nice sari, OK? Please inform all of your recently affianced Indian friends that there is a party-goer ready to attend, at no fee! (I say no fee because, actually, one of the jobs in the category of Shit White Girls Can Do in India, is get paid to attend weddings. You know, white skin and blond hair--we class up the joint! Make all of your friend's think you're sophisticated and rich!)

No comments:

Post a Comment