Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Where did the market go?

Every Tuesday night, on the streets right outside my office, there is a big market where vendors sell everything from vegetables to clothes to household appliances to cheap jewelry to fried snacks, etc. It is a local market for the working-class neighborhood and, even though the quality of much of what is being sold is fairly low, I’ve often enjoyed wondering through after I get off from work as the atmosphere borders on the carnival-esque and the people-watching is sublime.
 
However, last Tuesday when I left the office the streets were barren and empty—even more so than on a non-market day. Confused by this state of affairs, I asked a colleague who lives just a few blocks from the office if he knew why the market had disbanded.
 
My colleague said, “Well, word on the street is that at the market last Tuesday a shopkeeper and a customer got into a fight, which ended when the shopkeeper threw acid onto the customer. That poor guy is now in intensive care at the hospital and the shopkeeper fled into hiding. Because the shopkeeper was a Punjabi Hindu and the customer was Muslim the police were afraid of sectarian reprisals and so shut the market down. But I’ve heard that they just found the shopkeeper who is now in police custody. So, everything should be back to normal now.”
 
This, my friends, is what we call a TII (“This is India”) moment.  The market is closed for fear of religious violence following an acid attack? Oh sure, that used to happen in the neighborhood I grew up in all the time.
 
Note to self, do not get into a heated argument with a shopkeeper. Or, anyone who looks like s/he might be packing acid.

No comments:

Post a Comment