Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Even more things that don't make sense to me

Can anyone explain to me why diet coke should be so much more expensive than regular coke here? I mean, the distribution chain is the exact same.

Will I EVER wake up early enough to get to yoga class? And can someone please remind me that 600 rupees (or $10) is actually not an outrageous price to pay for an hour at a good studio--even though that amount could almost certainly feed me here for a week.

Are the rumors actually true that certain chaiwallahs put small amounts of opium into the tea to encourage return customers? Is it possible that's why my chaiwallah has me up to three cups a (work)day?
(chai/opium dealer?)

Are you all astounded that it has been over 90 degrees since I arrived every day (and yesterday, it hit 98 degrees, but I have yet to turn on the AC at home (or at work)? The ceiling fans are actually doing a pretty good job of keeping me cool.

Why is it that on the way to work the rickshaw drivers will happily take me for 80 rupees, but on the way home from work I can't get a ride for less than 100 rupees? It's the same distance, guys!

Isn't this raw silk scarf that I bought at my friend's charity auction for for $11 gorgeous?


Why is the Indian bureaucracy specifically out to get me? For example, in order to register as a foreign national I need to show proof of address. Today, I show the evil bureaucrats the following: (1) a stamped and certified copy of the lease between the landlord and my roommate (who is subleasing to me); (2) a copy of my roommate's identify card, which she has signed (apparently Indian bureaucrats LOVE when you sign your identity card); and (3) an agreement which my roommate has signed confirming she is subleasing to me. Apparently this is not good enough for evil bureaucrats who have demanded that I produce certain documents from the landlord himself (with whom I have NO contact). The consequences of non-registration are dire: I can't get paid from my job or leave the country with any hopes of reentry. When I mentioned all of this to one of the four evil bureaucrats who I had to deal with over the course of the day, she very kindly explained to me that if I can't get the absurd information required from my landlord, I should move to a different apartment. Thanks, lady.

Why is nobody commenting on my blog? Sniff. And who, exactly, are my viewers in Nigeria and Greece?

4 comments:

  1. That is a stupendous photo of you, my dear. In every way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ags! Professional camera, you understand.

      Delete
  2. That's pretty weird about Diet Coke. Some guy at the local Coke distributor has probably made his career on figuring out the market would bear that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've JUST discovered that the bodega on my corner sells diet cokes for 25 rupees, which is like 30 cents. It's changed my whole daily routine. The diet cokes taste a little different than usual, though . . .

      Delete