Friday, April 4, 2014

To Blog, or Not to Blog: Welcome to The Curried Life

Much like the requirement that the White House respond formally respond to any petition which garners a certain number of signatures, when a certain number of my adoring public asks me to consider something--in this case blogging my experiences in India--I find the idea to be worth serious consideration. There are, of course, a number of pros and cons when a woman of my stature considering blogging:

Pros
- Gives me an outlet for all of those bizarre ruminations and questions that pop up during the course of any day (e.g., "Why do most of the auto-rickshaw drivers here wear uniforms?" "Will I ever get my feet clean again?" "What do you mean the pharmacy doesn't have kleenex??").
- Allows me to share my experience with friends and family without having to actually write to people. You know, like individually.
- Gives me something to do on those long Indian nights where I can't venture outside because I'm afraid of being set upon by a gang of savage street dogs/drunken men/rabid monkeys.
- Records my time in India for the benefit of history (or, more likely, that moment 50 years down the line when I force my politely bored grandkids to listen to tales of grannie's glory days).

Cons
 - Takes time. Forces me to be interesting and amusing and to think of witty things to write.
- Would rather be out exploring India than inside writing about India.
- Potentially compromises my professional stature as a lawyer of certain gravitas.
- Brings me perilously close to being the sort of hippydippy who comes to India to find herself through writing.
- May expose my inability to spell basic words.

All things considered, I have decided at least to start blogging and see how I like it. Because nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

So with this, my inaugural blog posting, I invite you to share in my adventure through Delhi for the next year.*  I invite you to comment and respond (because blogs are lame if no one comments), and I invite you to offer suggestions for the months to come.

You are not invited to critique my spelling. I'm just gonna put that out there right away, OK?

Otherwise, welcome! And for your initial consideration, I offer you this picture of me having ducked into the local McDonalds in a desperate attempt to find air conditioning, taken about 3 seconds before the kindly attendant comes over to ask if I'm actually about to order anything.












Kate
*Or, um, until I get tired of writing this blog.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Hurray! The fans have won! Long live tyranny of the majority!

    Also, I do not know why you didn't stop to enjoy the sweet sweet awesomeness of McD's-India. There's a Chicken Tikka sandwich. CHICKEN TIKKA done McD's style! I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete