Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Fine dining in Delhi

My brother told me that one of the more interesting things he discovered on his trip to India (what, 10 years ago now?) was that he could eat a delicious meal for either less than $1 or for over $50, but there wasn't much in between.  I think things have changed a bit since his trip here in that Delhi, at least, has a burgeoning "casual cafe" culture which is aimed at wealthy Indians and expats where you can eat (generally pretty lackluster) meals for somewhere between $5-10 bucks. However it is true that I can eat deliciously for very little money and it is also true that there are some truly elegant fine dining experiences to be had.

Because I don't earn much money here, because it's quicker and easier, and because even in a developing country I'm a big ole cheapskate I do tend towards the cheap eats. However, in case y'all think I never go anywhere nice, I offer you the below pictures from my dinner at "Accent India".

This was some kind of potato watermelon concoction.

Foie gras ice cream cone.

Duck and cheese naan

 Traditional Indian deserts, done untraditionally.



This was actually a going-away dinner for my briefly-former roommate. It was an eight-course meal (well, ok, 5 courses if you don't count the amuse bouche, the watermelon sorbet palate cleanser, and the post-dessert sweets--which I do) wherein each course of food was paired with a delicious wine. I think the full price of the meal, without wine, was about $40, with wine, maybe 80? As you can see, still pretty reasonable by NYC standards. And, it's even more reasonable when your generous roommate surprises the whole table by picking up the tab!

I gotta be honest though, I still can't find a good drink here.

No comments:

Post a Comment