Tuesday, July 8, 2014

And while we're on the subject of office space sanctity . . .

I'm beginning to get a bit nervous that my office place may not be up to proper workplace safety standards. An earlier post detailed how I came in late one morning to find all of my coworkers standing outside while puffs of smoke rolled through the open windows and loud exploding noises belched from within--apparently there was a circuit overload leading to some pyrotechnics. And yesterday I told you all about our monkey invader. But that's not all . . .

Just the other day I was sitting in our quiet office when something possessed the cupboard about 10 feet away from me (and about 2 feet away from my coworker). What do I mean by possessed? Ok, try to imagine a 1980's horror movie where some inanimate object gets taken over by a vengeful spirit. You're imagine the object being backlit, rocking back and forth, emitting smoke and sounding out sparking noises, right? Well that's exactly what happened to this enormous cupboard.

I'm not trying to tell you that my office is haunted, by the way. What I'm trying to suggest is that we perhaps should not place enormous cupboards in front of overloaded electrical sockets which are prone to explosions. (On the other hand, perhaps that exactly where we should put them; my coworker sitting 2 feet from the cupboard had ample time to scramble away).

And then, just yesterday I walked in and this was going on:

 
Yes, that is a man with a blowtorch (full extent of flame not shown here), very casually blazing away between two shelves filled with old, crisp, dry, highly flammable paper; in fact the entire office is basically filled floor to ceiling with paper records just waiting to create an incendiary blaze. 

I'm like, I'm I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

On the other hand, my office has AC and a power generator that keeps it on even when the rest of the neighborhood is dark. So, I'm not complaining too much, you understand.

1 comment:

  1. Just make sure your exit path is not guarded by an enraged monkey.

    ReplyDelete