Thursday, July 3, 2014

OMG, Buffy

 As many of my usual readers will know, I'm quite enamored of my office chaiwallah, Deet. Deet makes the tastiest chai in town, and has a penchant for bringing it round right when I'm most craving a taste of something spicysweet. Every so often he'll even come around with a snack--and right before he got married a few weeks ago he treated the entire office to a box of delicious Indian goey sweets. So yep, Deet is in my good books.

As some of my readers my also know, my favorite TV show of all time is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ok, I sense a few snickers out there, but I think a kick-ass blond chick with witty one-liners, teenage problems and a penchant for saving the world was a great role model for my high-school and college self.

So, you can all imagine how excited I was when I walked into the office last week and saw Deet rocking this shirt:

I, of course, squealed like a small child and ran over to Deet, emotionally pointing at his shirt and explaining that it was my favorite TV show. Deed, who speaks no English*, had no idea what was going on, but was happy to play along with my unreasonable giddiness. After he let me take this picture he turned back around, erupted in smiles, gave me a thumbs up and said: "Good Luck!"

I adore Deet. 
 
 

*Ok, it's not entirely true that Deet speaks no English. Here are the phrases I know are in his vocabulary--there may be other words I'm not aware of yet.
Tea or coffee?
Sugar or no sugar? 
Milk?
White or black?
Good morning
Good night
Turn off
Good luck

1 comment: