Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Ok, just one more Himalaya-inspired post: ghost stories


(Creepy forest)

 Night time in the Himalayas can be pretty creepy as the foothills are immersed in cloud and mist, so it's unsurprising that during my three night sojourn at Jilling Estate ghosts and ghouls came up in conversation more than once.  According to my friend Nandini, people in the Himalayas (or, "people from the hills", as she calls them) tend to be quite superstitious and believe in a variety of demons and spirits. 
One legend native to the area where she grew up revolves around a particularly weird looking plant. (Sorry, y'all, but I forgot the plant's name). At particular times of the year--full moons and other appropriately creepy times--the plant turns into a fearsome demon which kills anything in its path. However, to the truly brave, those who can approach the plant demon without a trace of fear in his or her heart, the demon will grant any one wish.


Of course, it's not as simple as that.  It's not enough for a courageous person to confront the demon without fear in her heart, she must do it while totally and completely stark naked. The would-be wish seeker must strip down at dusk, wander into the forest totally nude and without carrying any weapons, and confront the demon plant in her most vulnerable state.

I asked, "Does this happen? Do people wander around the Himalayan forests naked at night trying to find the demon plants?"

Nandini said, "No way! Because if even one goosebump appears on your arm, not only will the demon kill you . . . . but you'll be found naked in the morning!"

I guess it's easier for people to confront their fear of death than their fear of embarrassment.

 
(At night, the mist rolls in)


Ouija boards also came up a few times in conversation as they seem pretty popular here. One of Nandini's friends who joined us for an evening drink in the mountains told this story:

He said, "When I was a teenager I didn't believe in spirits, but my parents did. One night while they were using the Ouija board they called me into the room and said the spirit wanted to talk with me. The spirit, in fact, was communicating to me through the medium of young six year old cousin. She held a pen in her hand--lightly touched by two older relatives--and was writing out the spirit's messages.

"The spirit told me: 'go to your friend Nilesh right now. He is in trouble.'

"I didn't want to go because Nilesh lived far away and it was raining, but my parents made me. So I got on my bike and rode to his house. When I arrived, his mother was crying because Nilesh had locked himself in a room and wouldn't come out. I helped her break down the door, and we found that he had just cut open his wrists over some love affair gone wrong. We brought him to the hospital in time and he was saved.  But he was depressed for some time after that and we were all worried that he would try to commit suicide again. A few nights later the spirit, again through the medium of my small cousin, told me to bring Nilesh to him. So I did.

"Nilesh stood there, in front of the Ouiji board, and refused to say anything. The spirit asked him if he didn't want to talk because his older relatives were around. Nilesh nodded, so the spirit told him to just think his questions; spirits are mind readers, you see. And then my small cousin began to write and write and write, giving Nilesh advice on getting over this girl and living a good life. And you know, Nilesh snapped out of his depression soon after, which he attributed to the spirit's teachings. My family still has that piece of paper, covered in childish writing, giving the spirit's advice to Nilesh. And now I believe in spirits"

Hearing this story, I of course had to ask: "What happened to your small cousin? The one being used by the spirit as the medium? That has got to be psychologically traumatic."

Nandini's friend nodded. He said: "Yes, I think these things do leave an impact. There's always been something night quite right with that girl. I mean, she's almost 35 now, but still has never gotten married."
Scary indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment