Monday, July 21, 2014

Colleagues

This is what a group of Indian lawyers looks like, right before they head to court.  


I get on really well with my colleagues--it is quite a young office so we all sit around together at lunch and gossip. In fact, at 32 I would venture to say that, other than my boss, I could be the oldest attorney in the office. Partially I suspect this is because it would be difficult to support a family on the NGO salary so older folks may seek out higher-paying gigs and partially I think it's because my office attracts young lawyers who wish to gain substantial litigation experience quickly. I only work closely with two attorneys so I really can't comment on the quality of my colleagues' work product, but have been generally impressed by the intelligence and commitment on display during lunch time conversations.

It may also be worth noting (and as demonstrated in the above photo) that my office is overwhelmingly female. In my department--which is not the women's rights department, by the way--we have two male associates and eleven female associates, plus one female intern. I think one of the men is married and I know that my American colleague lives with his girlfriend, but to my knowledge (though, I could be wrong) none of the other associates is in a relationship, excepting me, of course. As most of the associates are in their mid-to-late twenties perhaps this wouldn't be so unusual in the USA, but I think it is an anomaly for India as most Indians tend to get married younger.

Of course, I suspect the smart, educated and passionate folks in my office do not follow many trends in patriarchal India. Generally, they're a pretty awesome set--who just happen to look like legal rockstars in their ready-for-court gear. Don't you agree?

1 comment:

  1. Attractive and yet no-nonsense appearance, especially the very macho watch on lawyer #1

    ReplyDelete