Friday, July 18, 2014

Linguistic differences

An excerpt from the conversation I just had when I called a high end spa to book an appointment (I'd received a gift certificate for my birthday):

Receptionist: Ok, tomorrow at 5:30pm. Is there any particular therapist you'd like?
Kate: No, I don't mind. But I'd prefer a female therapist.
Receptionist: I'm afraid Tina has left us, is there someone else you'd like?
Kate: Any female therapist will do.
Receptionist. Ma'am, as I've just told you, Tina no longer works for us.
Kate: I'm not asking for Tina specifically, I'd just like a female masseuse. Ffffeeemale. Not Tina. Female.
Receptionist: Tina's not here.
Kate: Yes, I understand that Tina has left. I'm asking for a female therapist. A woman therapist. Any woman therapist.
Receptionist: Annie? Unfortunately Annie is not working tomorrow.
Kate: That's ok. I just need any female therapist. Not "Annie". Eeeeehny. Any. Woman. Therapist.
Receptionist: Neither Tina nor Annie is available.
Kate: Ok. Sigh. Just book me with whichever therapist is available.

Sometimes little things like accents differences can make a simple exchange difficult. It will be interesting to see if my masseuse tomorrow ends up being a dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment