Monday, July 21, 2014

Jantar Mantar

I went to visit an old astronomy lab the other day (circa 1724), though it may not be exactly what you're imagining.









 Each one of these building is itself an instrument to measure the celestial bodies--I think the stairway to heaven is an enormous sun dial type thing. I have no idea how the building which resembles the mini Roman Colosseum or the one that looks like an abstract heart design works--Wikipedia has failed me almost as thoroughly as the on-site plaques did.

It was a pretty cool monument to just find in the middle of the city and I particularly enjoyed my visit because, after flashing my local tax payer's ID card the ticket guy actually let me enter on the local's rate (a whopping 5 rupees, or USD $0.08). I am technically supposed to get the local's rate any time I flash my tax payer's ID at a tourist site, but so far people have taken one look at the blond curls and pretty much laughed in my face.

So, huzzah for interesting and cheap tourist sites which are easily accessible by metro!


No comments:

Post a Comment