Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A day (off) in the life of Kate

Ok, so what does an average day (off) look like for me in Delhi? Well, for starters, that day off will be Sunday, since I have somewhat unceremoniously been dragged into the office each Saturday for the past three weeks. But, I digress.

Delhi partially closes down on Sundays, which is to say that many of the smaller stores are closed or have reduced operating hours, although the larger ones do stay open. Tourist sites also stay open, so on my Sundays off I generally like to (a) do one touristy thing (b) visit one new area of the city and (c) eat at a new place--Monday-Friday I usually get lunch delivered to me at the office from the mysterious lunch guy and then eat the meal our maid has prepared at night, so the weekend is really my only time for adventures in eating.

So, with that framework laid out, here is an example of what last Sunday looked like for me.

10am: Woke up, having slept off a late night before. Took shower, ate breakfast, checked the weather. Groaned in disbelief.

11am: Went to Lodi Gardens (see previous post for more info). Drank lots of water.


1pm: Came home, took shower, are lunch, collapsed into bed, took nap.

3pm: Woke up, ran errands in nearby market. Last week I needed to stock up on toilet paper and get some new pants hemmed. The pant hemming was a bit tricky as there were 5 men lined up on sewing machines right next to each other on the sidewalk (as in literally, they've just set up their sewing machines on the sidewalk--no store front) and I didn't know who to go to. So I just sort of lamely walked up to one and handed him my pants. Having had the foresight to realize that there was probably no place for me to change in and out of my pants on the sidewalk I'd gamely attempted to pin up the hemline myself before heading to the professional. The fellow looked at my pants, looked at me, and said "60 rupees, 5pm". I knew I'd picked the right guy!

3:45pm: Came home, put head under the shower, took nap.

5pm: Picked up pants, expertly hemmed, at tailor (after having tried them on in the middle of the street, with numerous onlookers, to check that length was correct). With the day beginning to cool down a bit, walked on to new shopping street. Window shopped!
Boutique street in Hauz Khas Village


 This is an "up-cycle" store where everything is made from recycled goods. The shopgirl told me that everything on the two middle shelves here is made from elephant poop. True story.

 Delhiwallahs love the bling, so there are jewelry stores everywhere.


6:15pm: Accidentally stumbled across Delhi's answer to 5 Pointz (R.I.P.)





6:30pm: Decided not to go to "Bra Night", but saw a competing flyer for Sunday night "salsa night". Perhaps next week's evening expedition?

6:30pm: Scoped out street food vendors for dinner. Rolled them dice, and picked one! (Guy in the red stall on the left)

 6:40pm: Ate delicious Kati Roll in old ruins. Was very happy.





7:15pm: Walked home. took shower, tried not to take nap.

8:15pm: Skyped with boyfriend!

9:15pm: Hung out with roommates

10pm: Watched Mad Men

11pm: Went to bed.





2 comments:

  1. That elephant poop thing is for real!! Some people at my lab did some research about paper made from poop lol

    ReplyDelete