Saturday, May 24, 2014

Not always as easy as it looks

I've gotten a few emails from friends to the effect of: "How are you? I've been reading your blog and you seem really good. I guess moving to Delhi was easier than you thought it would be!" It's true, I am doing pretty well and moving to Delhi was a smoother transition that I had feared. However, as I tend to write my blog postings when I'm in an upbeat mood, I don't want to give you all the impression that Delhi is a piece of cake, that every day is an unadulterated bundle of joyousness and that life is nothing but mangos and flowers over here. And so, to counteract that impression, and for your general amusement, I offer the below: an email I wrote to my boyfriend one day two weeks ago when I was having a particularly low moment. Don't worry--all mushy bits have been redacted.

"Alright, I'm just to get it all out on "paper" because I find that usually when I write out my bad moods it's really helpful. If this sounds like a rant, feel free not to read.

I'm feeling blue today. I HATE feeling blue. It's a feeling totally anathema to my usual sunny personality, n'est pas? Now, I knew that I would have this period because I usually do when I move to a new place, but I think it doesn't help that my birthday is next week and I just have NO desire to do anything for it. WHICH IS VERY UNLIKE ME!! As you know, I usually declare May my birthday month! But here we are, my roommates are goading me to throw a house party, and I'm all like, "Meh, I'll think about it." ISN'T THAT WEIRD?

Because here's what I'd really like to do for my birthday--eat a delicious sushi dinner with my family before heading out dancing with you on my arm and the usual crew of ladies and gents jamming away.

Also, it's another of my friend's weddings this weekend, which I'm missing. (My friend Paul-- you know, Law School Paul). I'm also missing seeing all of my law school friends, some of whom I haven't seen since 2010, coming together. Wah!

Here's really the problem. The thing I love MOST about living abroad is getting to explore new places. But I can't do that in Delhi for another 3 months or so. Do you know why? BECAUSE IT'S TOO EFFING HOT OUT THERE! Like, seriously. So when I'm not working, I'm effectively home bound. I think I really need to start thinking about great indoor activities (like spa-ing? Museum-ing?) that I can enjoy in Delhi. 



And another thing, the food. Now, as you know Indian food is delicious, but I'm eating basically from only two sources--the lunch guy who brings food to the office, and my maid. Which is both very tasty--but getting repetitive. And I can't really eat elsewhere because (a) it's just too hot outside to go look for other food and (b) I've relied on my maid for the cooking I literally don't know where to go to buy other things I might want to eat. Plus, cooking isn't so easy when (i) you're a bit scared of the water and (ii) it's really hot in the kitchen. (Only room in the house without AC).

Now, work is generally pretty good, except for two fairly minor HUGE annoyances. 1) I bring my laptop into work with me every day, which is a hassle and prevents my afterwork socializing since I don't really want to schlep this thing around (today though, I'm asking them to give me a real computer) [Editor's note. I now have a desktop computer at work and no longer bring in my laptop everyday]; and 2) my computer faces the main bull pen so I'm constantly wary when I'm on facebook or something that people (i.e., my boss) is noticing. I didn't have to put up with this stuff for the past 2.5 years at the firm (though, I guess I did for the first year).

ALSO, THE MOTHERFUCKING CHAIWALLAH IS NOT HERE TODAY SO THERE IS NO CHAI! No, that's not actually true. Because Deet (that's his name, or how you pronounce it, anyway) isn't here someone went for an early morning chai-run--but because I was late into the office I missed it. So, I was forced to make myself a crappy cup of Nescafe--with cold milk. (Which I got from an open container in the fridge where just a few days ago I saw a cockroach roaming around. Yes, in the fridge. But Nescafe is too crappy to drink without milk, so I took my chances).

Also, I'm pretty sure my coworkers may think I'm an A-type crazy person--and they're not wrong. But, perhaps not entirely right either--I just need to learn to adjust to a non-law firm perfectionist environment.
[REDACTED]


Ok, phew. I do feel better now. During yoga today our teacher gave us a moment to think about our blessing and I focused on my Delhi-specific blessings. Finding a soccer team and a yoga studio so close to my house, generally enjoying the work and feeling like I have much to learn, finding my apartment and enjoying my roommates. [REDACTED] I have actually been pretty lucky so far. . .

Smooch! 

K"

No comments:

Post a Comment