Sunday, May 18, 2014

An Indian Birthday

Yesterday was my 32nd birthday. Now, having a birthday in a foreign country can be a bit of a daunting thing since the close friends and family who I would usually celebrate with are far, far away but I fortunately cracked the code to having a great abroad birthday 11 years ago when I turned 21 in Spain.

At the time my 20-year old self was a bit bummed at the thought of spending my 21st birthday alone, but then I had a total break-through epiphany bolt of lighting; I wasn't going to spent my 21st birthday alone, I was going to spend it with myself! And who knows better how to spoil me, indulge me, and buy me the perfect present than me? No one, that's who! I am in fact, the person best placed in the WHOLE WORLD to show myself a good time because I know exactly what I like to do. So, on my 21st birthday I ate nothing but cheese, cured meats and chocolate all day, bought myself something slinky and sparkly and took myself out dancing (with a few of my party people). It was a great birthday, and ever since then I've given myself license to spoil myself rotten on foreign birthdays (OK, and on domestic birthdays now too).

So, this is what I did last Saturday. At 7:30am my body woke me up and was like, "Let's go to yoga." As most people who know my sleeping in habits will attest, that is actually a really WEIRD thing for my body to do, but I figured I should just go with it (maybe my 32 year old self actually likes waking up early?) So body and I went to yoga class, and then relaxed in a cafe with a cappuccino and a copy of Indian Vogue while I waited for my local spa to open. Then I took myself for a massage, a body polish treatment, some foot reflexology and some steam-rooming (total cost, USD $30) before heading home to find this awaiting for me.



My roommates had bought me flowers, a card, a gift certificate to a (even classier) nearby spa, and, having noted my deep love for the fruit, a carton full of premium A-grade most delicious mangos! Yay!

I spent the rest of the afternoon eating, shopping, reading trashy fantasy novels, and chatting with my boyfriend (who, as per usual, also surprised me with some wonderful presents. And a picture of him about to assassinate a jar of my favorite popcorn kernels as a threat of what might happen if I didn't continue to have a good birthday). 

And then, onto my party! I had basically decided to just buy some liquor, order in some biryani, bring up the house speakers and invite everyone I know in Delhi to come hang out with me on my roof deck (because, you know, otherwise what's the point of having a roof deck?)   I was, of course, a bit worried that no one would show up since I don't know that many folks here, but there was actually a great turn-out--I think about 30 people ended up partying the night away with me, way past my bedtime.





And the best part, people brought me presents! Flowers and a mango cake (homemade) and alcohol and handicrafts and girly lotions and stuff. 


So, all in all it was a pretty great birthday. Here's hoping the year ahead lives up to its promise!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great birthday. I was worried you were going to spend it on your knees fixing the fourth wheel on your desk chair and then stealing flowers from the local park. I should have known better.

    ReplyDelete