Thursday, May 29, 2014

B-list: Safdarjung's Tomb

The other day I decided to go to Safdarjung's Tomb, which is one of the few Mughal-era tombs scattered around Delhi. Although Safdarjung's Tomb is mentioned in my guidebook it is given no love there--the entire entry is like two sentences. Also, in William Dalrymple's great travel book, City of Djinn's: a Year in Delhi, William seems singularly unimpressed and basically talks smack about the place during his entire visit there--that it's rundown, has none of the grace and detailing of the Taj, is a patch-work of second rate materials, etc.

So, I wasn't expecting much when I went to visit (and honestly, I just decided to visit because it was an attraction easily accessible from my metro line). I was pretty much the only tourist there during the hour and half I wandered around the place, though there were many of Indian couples nestled away in the nooks of the tomb on and the ground. (As I've mentioned in prior posts--young, likely illicit, Indian couples just love themselves some good ruins and a park for canoodling.)

Anyway, this is what B-list Delhi attraction looks like: an enormous, beautifully designed Mughal building, fully intact and just radiating in the afternoon sun. (And did I mention I had it all to my touristy self?)



This was the best of many awkward selfies I tried to take. What can I say, there were no other tourists I could ask to take the picture for me!

Safdarjung's actual tomb itself. See, glowing!

I enjoyed the fact that all of the graffiti on the tomb was romance-based.

At one point, an Indian women making out with her boyfriend/husband/lover noticed my awkward attempts to take selfies, paused her make-out session and took this picture. While I very much appreciated her good manners (though, I think her boyfriend did not!) I think she could have used some initial point and shoot pointers.

Bonus, note my cute kurta and pyjama ensemble!

The tomb from the front view.


And the back view

2 comments:

  1. Yay City of Djinns! Did you see my rec on facebook or were you already in the know?

    "The Last Mughal" was also very interesting and readable (and tragic).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was from your fb rec! Any other literary finds you'd like to send my way?

    ReplyDelete